Makes 4 cups
3 tbsp yogurt with live cultures. I used some Yoplait I already had.
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2. Remove from heat and place in sink filed with cold water. Just enough water to cool the pan. Cool milk to 115-120 degrees. Take pot out of cold water.
3. Scoop out 1 cup of the milk. Add 3 tbsp of yogurt to the cup of milk and stir well.
Mix back into the rest of the heated milk.
4. Add honey and vanilla. Stir until dissolved.
5. Pour into clean Mason jars and cap with lids. I used one large jar.
6. Place into cooler. I used a small Coleman. It can hold 4 or 5 jars.
7. Add hot tap water at 115-120 degrees to the cooler. Add enough to go up 3/4 of the jar.
8. Shut the lid and don't disturb for 4-5 hours. I mean it! No matter how tempting, no peaking.
9. Once done, place into the fridge.
6 cups of oats
1/2 shredded coconut
1 cup pecans
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Brown sugar
2/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 canola oil
Once mixed and heated pour into dry mixture and blend until all coated.
Bake in a roasting pan at 225 degrees for 15 minutes. Stir then cook 5 minutes. Stir and cook 5 more minutes and repeat one more time. For a total of 30 minutes. I personally prefer using the large roasting pan better than cookie sheets. I can stir the granola with no spilling and it doesn't burn or scorch!